Baby times two, three or more? We specializes in multiples and their moms.
Having more than one baby at a time can multiply the love and excitement — as well as the stress. Carrying twins, triplets or higher-order multiples also means you’ll need special care — more support while you’re pregnant, when you deliver your babies and after giving birth. Your babies also need specialized care. But relax. You can trust Women's & Children's Hospital to give each of you a start that’s more than you dreamed.
If you’re having multiples, you can expect to see your doctor more often than you would if you were pregnant with just one baby. And your babies may be at a higher risk for low birth weight and for being born too early, both of which can lead to health issues.
We have the advanced physicians, expertise and technology to monitor and help ensure your health and your babies’, throughout your pregnancy and the birthing process. For instance:
- Our specialized doctors are skilled and experienced in reducing risks for multiples and their moms.
- You’ll have access to all the information and support you need to plan and prepare for childbirth and life with your babies. Support services include:
- Breastfeeding support for more than one baby.
- Our well-baby nursery and neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) are well equipped and experienced to provide the right level of care for your babies until they can go home.
- We offer a dedicated antenatal unit for high-risk pregnancies. This unit is equipped to provide advanced care when complications arise, including those that are more common for women who are carrying multiples. It’s one reason healthcare providers from all over the Acadiana region trust Women's & Children's Hospital to care for women with high-risk pregnancies.
- If your babies need follow-up care after they go home, you’ll have seamless access to all of Women's & Children's Hospital pediatric services and specialty physicians for care tailored to your babies’ needs. Our doctors and specially trained nurses and support staff are some of the most respected in the region, and they know how to put families and babies at ease.