Chemotherapy for Pancreatic Cancer
- Cure smaller, early-stage pancreatic cancer
- Increase survival time in more advanced pancreatic cancer (Although, this usually means only by a matter of months.)
- Provide some symptom relief
Chemotherapy Drugs Used for Pancreatic Cancer
- Fluorouracil (5-FU)
- Gemcitabine (the first line treatment)
- Gemcitabine plus erlotinib (Tarceva)—first line treatment
- Cisplatin (Blastolem RU, Tecnoplatin)
- Investigational agents (experimental treatments)
- Streptozotocin (for endocrine tumors)
Detailed guide: pancreatic cancer. American Cancer Society website. Available at: http://www.cancer.org/ . Accessed April 8, 2009.
DiMagno E. Pancreatic carcinoma. In: Cecil RL, Goldman L, Bennett J. Cecil Textbook of Medicine. 21st ed. Philadelphia, PA: WB Saunders Company; 2000: 750-752.
Freelove R, Walling AD. Pancreatic cancer: diagnosis and management. Am Fam Physician. 2006;73:485-492.
Lohr JM. Medical treatment of pancreatic cancer. Expert Rev Anticancer Ther. 2007;7:533-544.
What you need to know about cancer of the pancreas. National Cancer Institute website. Available at: http://www.cancer.gov/cancerinfo/wyntk/pancreas#2 . Accessed April 8, 2009.
Yip D, Karapetis C, Strickland A, et al. Chemotherapy and radiotherapy for inoperable advanced pancreatic cancer. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2006;3:CD002093.
- Reviewer: Mohei Abouzied, MD, FACP
- Review Date: 09/2014 -
- Update Date: 09/17/2014 -