Women Infant Care Links
Packing For Your Hospital Stay
You should make preparations for coming to the hospital at least four to six weeks before your expected date of delivery. Babies have been known to come before their due date, so a bit of early preparation is always helpful. When you pack your suitcase, we suggest you include the following:
- Robe and Slippers. Button or wraparound robes are preferable.
- Two good support or breastfeeding bras.
- Personal care items. Include toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, facial tissues, deodorant, shampoo and other make-up essentials you normally use. Electric appliances are permitted after they have been inspected.
- Address book with phone numbers.
- Photo equipment. If you plan to take pictures of the baby in the birthing room or afterwards, be sure to bring a fresh roll of film, flash equipment and batteries. Video recorders are also a wonderful method for capturing this special event. Battery operation is necessary.
- Pillows with colored pillowcases.
- Going home outfit. You’ll want to pack a loose-fitting outfit to wear home.
What You Should Bring For Your Baby
While packing your suitcase, include these pre-washed items for your baby’s trip home.
- Receiving blanket
- Sleeper or other outfit
- Extra blanket depending on weather
- Car seat – be sure you know how to use it
Disposable diapers are provided by the hospital.